Bible Passage: 2 Timothy 1:3-18
HANDOUT FOR SERMON: WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT 2022. Text: 2 Timothy 1:1-8 & 4:6-8, Manchester, TN. January 2, 2022
Introduction: Time is running out. What would you say to someone if it was one of your last chances to speak to them? A final thought or at the end of life? Today, we will look at Paul’s final message to Timothy someone he loved dearly. Their relationship in Christ was like a father-son relationship. Paul’s concern was “you may never see me again!” Lessons from the brink of departure and death. My lesson today is meant to be a lesson of encouragement though it does have some sad realities which I will mention. As we look ahead to this new year-2022-I realize we all need encouragement!
Do you have someone you would say has been a mentor in the faith? It is NOT good if you feel all alone spiritually! God has placed you in a Church family for the benefits it is to be for you! We all need spiritual mentors!
LESSON: 2 TIMOTHY 1:1-18 1. BUILD GREAT MEMORIES WITH BRETHREN. (1 Timothy 1:3-5) Paul remembers the “togetherness” he and Timothy had experience. Paul had all kinds of memories as these 2 had experienced all kinds of things together. Worshipped together, ate together, worked together, served together, prayed together. Paul was mindful of Timothy’s faith, his faith, their tears and their joys. Paul was also mindful of the house of Onesiphorus, 2 Timothy 1:16-18. The value and strength we find in building great memories with brethren!
Application: What about us, the Manchester Church? How do we build great memories? Are you doing your part to build such memories? A little hospitality goes a long way. Do mission work together, share & pray together. Love each other in word and deed and build memories.
2. STOKE THE FIRE. 2 Timothy 1:6-7 Paul encouraged Timothy not to lose the spark, don’t lose your zeal or excitement for the Lord and the Lord’s work. Memories are great, but we can’t live in the past. Kindle afresh the gift that God has put in you. The world needs you and needs this! 2 Timothy 4:9-10 remember what happened to Demas. He lost his fire, stopped burning so brightly and ended up in the world.
Scripture: Romans 12:1-2 & 6-9 Personal abilities and gifts are in ALL of us! Everyone in this building, sitting on each of these pews have special and unique abilities or gifts. Tender hearts, great helps, passionate servers, great teachers, super givers, etc. The future of churches will never live on the past but on members who are constantly stoking the fire! Members using & developing more and greater gifts and talents.
Application: The Manchester Church in 2022 must get back to fanning and stoking the fire! We must not “institutionalize the local Church” because this reduces the true efficiency and effectiveness of the Lords work. Some say: “The Church needs to do that?” indicating others need to do something! God’s plan has always been individual people working. Ephesians 4:16 speaks of “every joint supplies.” Let each ONE OF US decide we must do this and get active.
3. NEVER BE ASHAMED. 2 Timothy 1:8-12. We must never be ashamed of Jesus Christ, never be silent. We have not been given the spirit of fear or timidity. We are to expose Jesus to the world. Reach out and teach others and be bold. Ask God to help YOU do this. Romans 1:15-16 Preach the Gospel to the world and do not be ashamed. There in Rome sin was everywhere, in our world today sin is everywhere so we must be bold! Matthew 10:32-33 Confess Christ-He will confess you! Be silent about Jesus and He will be silent about you!
Application: So how does the Manchester Church be bold, brave, and not ashamed? 2 Timothy 2:2-6 Not ashamed means: you teach, you be a good solider, you be a great athlete, and a hardworking farmer! SO, in 2022 talk more about Jesus to others. Share with one another and build confidence together to go out and do more. Hold each other more accountable but do it with encouragement.
4. GUARD THE TREASURE (“GOOD THING”) 2 Timothy 1:13-14 You already possess a timeless, extremely valuable treasure here on earth that has eternal consequence that can benefit you for all of eternity! It is the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Word of God (v.8), sound doctrine, the testimony of our Lord and a holy calling. Some Christians don’t “guard it” and it is taken away. Read: 2 Timothy 4:1-4 as God tells us about some Christians. The Devil is all about taking the valuable word out of our heart, and He can only do that if we stop guarding it. First put it IN YOUR heart and then guard it! 2 Timothy 2:15 “study the word” be diligent about the word!
Application: What is the Manchester Church doing to guard our treasure! Remember the day of home Bible groups and study. Meet and discuss the comfort of the scripture, the power of the word of God in our personal lives. Do we meditate upon the word? Do we priorities the word? Do we speak to others about how amazing of the transformation of our personal lives-thanks to the word of God!
5. BUILD YOUR OWN PERSONAL FAITH. 2 Timothy 1:15-18 & 1 Timothy 4:16-18 Paul had great spiritual friends (Silas, John-Mark, Timothy, Titus, etc.) However, all turned away from him. He was ALL on HIS OWN! Think about that! However, the Lord stood with Paul and the Lord rescued him. The Manchester Church is a good church, a great place to be, however what or where would YOU be without it? Where would your faith be? Would you have or would you lose it?
Application: You must work on building your own personal faith. You need your own strength. The strength of each person is crucial to the strength of our Church family. If we all build a strong personal faith and relationship with God, you will always stand with God. Can you imagine a local Church where each member did this? A Church filled with this kind of people-man what an amazing Church that would be!
CONCLUSION: 2 Timothy 4:6-8
Are we people “love His appearing?” Are you eager to see Jesus? Jesus who created all things. Jesus who created all things. Jesus who came in the human form and gave Himself for you/me. Are you eager for Jesus to return, when Jesus appears it will be to judge us all! So are you eager to see Him?
LOVE HIS APPEARANCE MEANS:
• Building good memories.
• Stoking the fire.
• Never be ashamed.
• Guarding the treasure.
• Building your own personal faith.