HANDOUT FOR THE SERMON: Part 2 WALKING IN THE LIGHT-Fellowship with God and One Another. Manchester, Tn June 11th, 2023.
INTRODUCTION: Review from last week’s lesson. The Text is the Book of First John. Our main points were:
- Believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God. 1 John 1:3-4, 2:18-24 & 5:1-5
- Love the Brethren. 1 John 3:10-19, 3:23-24, 4:7-21
- Keep God’s Commandments. 1 John 2:3-6, 3:21-24, 5:1-3
These three foundational points or commands are given to us by God in the book of First John. John shows us that these items are what make it possible of us to have fellowship with God and one another. When we walk in the light as He is the light, we have fellowship with God. When our focus and goal is to wholeheartedly accept the true light (Jesus for who He is) then we will reverence Him, follow Him and obey Him. The result is we “walk in the light” as He is the light.
LESSON: In our study today let us build further on the foundation we noticed last week.
1.THE IMPORTANCE AND VALUE OF JESUS THE SON OF GOD.
- JESUS IS THE TRUE LIGHT. John 8:12 ESV Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life.” John 12:46, ESV I have come into the world as light, so that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness.
- WE NEED TO FIND THE LIGHT AND FOLLOW AFTER IT: John 12:35-36, NLT Walk in the light while you can, so the darkness will not overtake you. Those who walk in the darkness cannot see where they are going. Believe in the light while you have the light, so that you may become children of light.
- VICTORY IS THROUGH CHRIST: 1 Corinthians 15:57, NIV But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 John 1:7, NIV But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
If Jesus is the true light and we walk in the light as He is the light, then we will be reflecting Him. We will be like Him. He will dwell in us!
- WALKING IN THE LIGHT CAN BE SUMMED UP IN 4 SIMPLE BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES.
- Be Holy: 1 Peter 1:15
- Be Righteous: 1 John 2:9
- Keep Yourself Pure: 1 Timothy 5:22
- Love One Another: 1 John 4:7
- EVIDENCE THAT WE HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD AND ONE ANOTHER CAN BE CLEARLY SEEN IN THE WAY WE THINK, SPEAK AND BEHAVE.
In our lesson today we will consider one of the churches mentioned in the New Testament. Open your Bibles to First Corinthians chapter 1. The Church at Corinth was recognized by God as “the Church of God, sanctified in Christ Jesus called to be saints. (1 Cor. 1:2) The Church met in the home of Justus (Acts 18:6-10).
It is not surprising for a church to have problems, sin problems. A church is a group of sinners – saved and repenting sinners. The Church at Corinth consisted entirely of baby Christians., the believers most likely had been Christians for no more than 3 years. They were all recent converts. They didn’t have generations of Christians in their culture.
The Church in Corinth had issues, many struggles, and problems. It should not be so surprising that these brethren maybe continued to share some of Corinth’s worldly values and behavior. Paul writes them a letter to encourage them to live like who they are: “SAINTS” or God’s holy people (1 Cor. 1:2). Or “walk in the light as He is the Light.” Jesus and the Gospel were the foundation to the Church in Corinth.
Read: 1 Corinthians 1:4-10.
1.YOU ARE ENRICHED. V.4-8 Paul tells them to think and remember who they are and what they had received from God. Remember that grace had been extended to them by Jesus Christ. Define “enriched:” To make rich or richer, addition or increase of some desirable quality, attribute, or ingredients.
2.FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD, V.9 Paul reminds them of the faithfulness of God. The interest and loyalty that God has for His people. Our faithful God has called us into fellowship of His son, Jesus Christ, our Lord. Define lord: One having power and authority over us. Preeminence to who service and obedience are due.
3.YOU CAN MAKE PROPER, POSITIVE AND CORRECTIVE CHOICES. V.10 Unity can be achieved only in Christ Jesus. Paul speaks of being perfectly joined together. Sounds nice but how can that ever be achieved? Read 1 Cor. 1:11-16. First rule, stop listening to and elevating people! Allegiance to human leaders and men’s ideas will always cause division. Misplaced emphasis or importance can lead to division and departure.
CONCLUSION: The emphasis must always be on the Light; it must be on Christ the Son of God. The only true foundation for us.