HANDOUT FOR SERMON: WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR COMMITMENT? May 14th, 2023, Manchester, TN
INTRODUCTION: What comes to mind when you think of a “great mom?” Maybe these words: loving, gentle, kind, great cook, perfect housekeeper, hardworking, a happy & positive disposition, industrious, generous, someone who never complains, the complements can go on and on. A great mother is committed to her role and place in life as a mother. If you have a great mother, it is because she is committed to her role and purpose as a mother. A committed mother will have an “unreal attitude of sacrifice.”
In our study today we will look deeper at the concept of being committed to a purpose and role in life. What about your commitment to the Lord?
1.UNDERSTANDING THE CONNECTION BETWEEN COMMITMENT AND SACRIFICE.
Scripture: Psalm 37:5, Proverbs 16:3, Luke 9:62
Define commitment: An agreement or pledge to do something in the future, an obligation, something pledged. Synonyms: adhesion, constancy, devotion, loyalty, allegiance, dedication, steadfastness, faithfulness.
Scripture: Colossians 1:29, 2 Timothy 1:12, 2 Chronicles 16:9
Scripture on steadfastness: 1 Corinthians 15:58, Joshua 23:6, 1 Samuel 12:21, Galatians 5:1
Scripture about teach your children: Psalm 139:14, Deuteronomy 6:6-7, Deuteronomy 4:9. John 15:12, 1 Corinthians 13:13, 1 Peter 3:4
Scripture which teach mothers to have knowledge, strength, patience, selflessness and love. Isaiah 66:13, Isaiah 49:15, Proverb 14:1-2, Proverbs 31:28-29, Proverbs 31:25, Proverbs 31:25, Proverbs 1:8-9, Proverbs 22:6 Proverbs 19:14, Luke 1:46-49, 2 Timothy 1:2.
2.GOD’S COMMITMENT TO HUMANITY AND AMOS’ COMMITMENT TO GOD.
Who was Amos? Amos was an ordinary shepherd. Sometime people arise out of “nowhere” and accomplish amazing things. This ordinary man was sent to prophesy to Israel and Judah and the sinful nations around him. Why did God ask such of Amos and why would he go do this? His love for God is what moved him to greater service to God in this manner. Why did God tell him to do this? It was because of God’s great love for humanity. (John 3:16, 2 Peter 3:9)
Amos 7:15 “Then the Lord took me as I followed the flock. And the Lord said to me, ‘Go, prophesy to My people Israel.”
Amos lived and prophesied under the rule of King Uzziah and King Jeroboam II. Both kingdoms were experiencing a time of great prosperity for Judah and Israel. Economically, politically, and military things were well for both kingdoms. God had blessed and protected them even though they were no longer committed to God. God was no longer “first” in their lives. Their commitment to the Lord was diminishing. Judgment, condemnation and deportation was in their future.
3. WE LEARN ABOUT THE QUALITIES OF GOD THROUGH THE MANNER OF HOW HE ADDRESSES AND DEALS WITH HUMANITY.
God loves all mankind and God has a unique relationship with His people.
1 John 3:18-24 The apostle John gives us some qualities of God. This list of characteristics can also apply to a good woman, a good mother.
- AN AFFIRMING LOVE, Verse 18. We are to love in deed and in truth. God gives love. He created life and out of love gives life to all who come to Him through Christ. He stands ready to help, support, and love. Good mothers never give up on their children. They stand by through the good and the bad, good times and tough times. Like the love described in Luke 15:11-32, where God stands ready to help His own and prove His love to them.
- A REASSURING VOICE. Verse 19-20a This section is all about the assurance we should have with God. No matter how firmly you are grounded as a Christian, you at times need to be assured of your relationship with God. The same is with a child and parent. The frightened child often calls the mother because the child knows a calm, consoling voice will help chase away the fear and ease the pain. Mark 14:36 We cry out “abba Father.” James 4:8 “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.”
- THE ABILITY & REASOURCE TO KNOW. Verse 20b. A mother has a way of knowing things. God is the only true “omniscient” being. He knows His children well, inside and out. He stands ready to forgive and to help us move on and improve. Jeremiah 17:10 “I the Lord search the heart and test the mind…”
- THE READINESS TO PROVIDE OUR NEEDS. Verse 24 Is your mother a giving and providing person? Make a list of all the things “your mom” did for you the last seven days? God is always listening and we are told by God to not be reluctant to ask. The constancy and consistency of God’s care and provision is amazing. Good mothers think of providing a secure home and giving up the basic daily needs to grow. God is the only one who can really provide this sense of security on the deepest level of life. Matthew 10:29-33 “do not fear, you are of more value than many sparrows.”
CONCLUSION: What has happened to your commitment? God stand committed to YOU, but the big question is “Are YOU truly committed to Him?” Be honest now!